[CentOS] youtube-dl No module named 'pkg_resources'

Michael Hennebry

hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu
Wed May 8 02:55:12 UTC 2019

youtube-dl doesn't work for me after a recent update.
I do not use it often, so do not know whether the update matters.
It gives the error message:
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/usr/bin/youtube-dl", line 6, in <module>
     from pkg_resources import load_entry_point
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'pkg_resources'

I've tried reinstalling python-setuptools,
installing python34-setuptools and reinstalling youtube-dl .

I'm aware there is a bugzilla on it.
That and stackoverflow are where I got the ideas above.

How do I make youtube-dl work on Centos 7?

"Sorry but your password must contain an uppercase letter, a number,
a haiku, a gang sign, a heiroglyph, and the blood of a virgin."
                                                              --  someeecards