[CentOS] where to find wifi driver

Phil Perry pperry at elrepo.org
Tue May 14 16:16:59 UTC 2019

On 14/05/2019 13:09, Jonathan Billings wrote:
> On Tue, May 14, 2019 at 10:13:35AM +0800, qw wrote:
>> I use the wifi adaptor, Edimax AC1200, and its driver can be
>> downloaded from
>>
>> 'http://www.edimax.com.tw/edimax/download/download/data/edimax/tw/download/for_home/wireless_adapters/wireless_adapters_ac1200_dual-band/ew-7822ulc'.
>>

>> I fail to compile its GPL Source Code on CentOS 7.4.
>>

>> Where to get its rpm drivers, or how to compile its GPL Source Code?
>
> Looks like you've found the only official source code.
>
> It looks like someone else has (unofficial) code here:
>
> https://github.com/abperiasamy/rtl8812AU_8821AU_linux
>
> It isn't a driver supported by the CentOS kernel, nor any 3rd-party
> repositories that I know of.  You'll either have to get it to work
> yourself or use a newer kernel (which isn't something supported on
> CentOS, but provided by 3rd party repos such as elrepo.org.)

I'm generally not willing to package these Realtek sources for
Enterprise Linux as the code is often heavily dependant upon kernel
versioning with lots of conditionals. This approach simply does not work
on RHEL (or CentOS), where for example el7 uses a nominal 3.10.0 kernel
but has a wifi stack that is backported from linux-4.14. For these
Realtek drivers to be properly supported on RHEL (and CentOS), Realtek
need to perform RHEL versioning checks (RHEL_MAJOR and RHEL_MINOR) in
addition to their kernel versioning checks.

My advice - if Realtek isn't prepared to support the device on RHEL (or
CentOS), purchase an adapter that is natively supported.