[CentOS] OT: android phone backup NOT to google cloud question

Scott Robbins scottro11 at gmail.com
Wed May 15 15:00:38 UTC 2019

On Wed, May 15, 2019 at 09:21:34AM -0500, Valeri Galtsev wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> My apologies for OT question.
>
> I wonder if someone of Android smartphone owners backs up their device and
> user/application data NOT to google cloud.

I'm not sure if you would get all data, but wouldn't something like
mounting the phone with simple-mtpfs and then rsyncing it to a directory
on your machine (then moving it elsewhere if desired) serve the purpose.
Actually, I think even if you back it all up to the cloud, if you have to
restore, there will always be something missing.

For example, I recently got a phone running Android 9 and though it had
copied some custom ringtones, it didn't see them. I had to re-encode them
specifying a bitrate to get it working.

Whether Apple or Google, they seem to make it harder to keep control over
your device with each iteration. I think it was Corey Doctorow who once
wrote something like, No one ever woke up and said, Gee I hope there's an
iTunes update that will let me do less with my device.

But I digress. Assuming this is all data which can be seen by a computer,
something like simple-mtpfs would let you copy it all to your hard drive.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6