[CentOS] system unresponsive

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Wed May 22 13:46:07 UTC 2019

On Wed, 22 May 2019 at 09:30, mark <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:

> Ok, we used to get this occasionally on cluster nodes, and we just got it
> on a fileserver (very bad). The system is discovered to be unresponsive:
> it doesn't ping, and plugging a console in, you can see that it's not
> dead, but there nothing at all on the screen, nor does it respond to even
> <ctrl-alt-del>. The only answer is to power cycle it; it comes up fine.
>
> Nothing in /var/log/dmesg or /var/log/messages. No abrts I can find. sar
> tells me it went unredponsive between 18:10 and 10:20 yesterday. Note that
> there are no further entries in sar, either, for yesterday, after the
> event, and nothing till I power cycled it.
>

>From the above description, I would normally say it sounds like hardware.
However, why do you say the system is not dead when you plug in a console..
but there is nothing on the screen and it doesn't respond to
control-alt-delete. To me that sounds like 'dead'. Usually the cpu is
hardlocked or the hardware went into 'over-heat' and put everything in a
deep sleep hoping it would cool down but never wake up.

> Has anyone else seen this - I can't imagine it's only us - or have any
> thoughts?
>
> C 7, 7.6.1810
>
>         mark

Stephen J Smoogen.