[CentOS] Bypassing 'A stop job is running' when rebooting CentOS 7

Simon Matter simon.matter at invoca.ch
Wed May 22 13:57:00 UTC 2019

> James Pearson wrote:
>>

>>> I'm currently trying to reboot a CentOS 7.5 workstation (to complete an
>>>  upgrade to 7.6), but it is 'stuck' while shutting down with 'A stop
>>> job is running for ...' - the counter initially gave a limit of '1min
>>> 30s' -
>>> but each time it reaches that limit, it just adds on ~90 seconds to the
>>> limit ...
>>>
>>> Currently the limit is '25min 33s'
>>>

>>> I'm in no hurry to have this workstation operational, but I guess at
>>> some point I will have to power cycle it ...
>>>
>>> Does anyone know how to bypass this? - or at least stop it increasing
>>> the limit each time it is reached?
>>>
>>> It does seems rather pointless to keep increasing the limit like this
>>>
>> It _finally_ gave up at 30 mins and rebooted
>
> One question: did it have a mounted nfs filesystem?
>
> The joys of systemd....

Yes, NFS integration with systemd is broken by default, at least it was
still the case when I last checked.
If you want it to work correctly, you have to add
'x-systemd.requires=network-online.target' as NFS mount option.

Clearly, how should systemd know that NFS won't work without network? I
knew you agree :-)

Regards,
Simon