[CentOS] Bypassing 'A stop job is running' when rebooting CentOS 7

James Szinger jszinger at gmail.com
Wed May 22 15:07:32 UTC 2019

On Wed, May 22, 2019 at 7:44 AM mark <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:

> The joys of systemd....

I'm not sure it's right to blame systemd.  Systemd asked nicely for
the service to shutdown.  The service didn't, probably because the
update change something and pulled the rug out from beneath it.
Systemd then waited a bit to make sure the service wasn't just being
slow, and finally gave up and forcibly killed it.  I think this is a
reasonable approach to killing a misbehaving service while trying to
minimize data-loss, and the timeout can be configured.

This hasn't happened to me recently, but I think I've tried Ctl-C and
Ctl-Alt-Del without much success.  That leaves the Big Red Switch
(which is mostly small and black these days).

Jim