[CentOS] Older versions of samba that work with CentOS 7?

Jobst Schmalenbach jobst at barrett.com.au
Tue May 28 01:36:56 UTC 2019

On Mon, May 27, 2019 at 12:43:41PM +0200, Miroslav Geisselreiter (mg at intar.cz) wrote:
> Hi Jobst,
>
> you can use latest samba package from CentOS 7 - there is no problem with NT
> style domains support (ie. it supports NT style domains). We use servers
> with CentOS 6 and CentOS 7 both with NT style domains.

Phew!
Thank you, this is great news!

I had huge trouble to get the samba server started after I ported it onto a CentOS 7 machine.
I tried to start it with

    systemctl start smbd nmbd winbind samba

and it failed without error messages.

So I has asked a question on the Samba mailing list.
They told me I should do this as

    systemctl stop smbd nmbd winbind samba
    systemctl disable smbd nmbd winbind samba
    systemctl mask smbd nmbd winbind samba
    systemctl unmask samba-ad-dc
    systemctl enable samba-ad-dc
    systemctl start samba-ad-dc

Can you confirm, you start this with

    systemctl start samba-ad-dc

thanks
--

Jobst Schmalenbach

Sendmail administration is not black magic.  There are legitimate technical reasons why it requires the sacrificing of a live chicken.