[CentOS] Question about ntp

Fred Smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Tue May 28 01:50:51 UTC 2019

On Tue, May 28, 2019 at 11:44:35AM +1000, Jobst Schmalenbach wrote:
> On Mon, May 27, 2019 at 06:32:19AM +0200, Ralf Prengel (ralf.prengel at rprengel.de) wrote:
> >
> > Hallo,
> >
> > what is the standard way to sync time under Centos 7.
> > ntp or chrony.
>
> YMMV.
>
> I have used NTP for many, many years so I am familiar with it and also have ALL config files, I normally just delete chrony and install ntpd, then copy the config files and start ntp. All done, 2 minutes.
>
> Chrony cannot supply time info, so if you have clients requesting time info the server cannot serve time, you need ntpd for that. I have many windows stations that pull time from my CentOS servers.

Back when I used chrony in my home LAN it certainly did serve time. I
brought it up on my firewall (an old PC running SmoothWall) as a local
time server and it worked great for that purpose.

It's hard to imagine that someone would have REMOVED that ability in
the intervening years....

  Prince of Peace. Of the increase of his government there will be no end. He
 will reign on David's throne and over his kingdom, establishing and upholding