[CentOS] UEFI boot manager sequence problems HP Envy

Gary Stainburn gary.stainburn at ringways.co.uk
Thu May 30 14:09:33 UTC 2019

I have been doing some more research on this and it appears that this is often a problem with the BIOS / EFI implementation not correctly respecting the boot order setting.

However, as it used to work on this laptop with the previous HDD I do not believe this to be the point.

Oddly, when I put the old HDD back in - to copy off some files I'd missed - it too had the problem with the boot order.

One good thing I did get was a work-around suggested by someone.  I have now

efibootmgr -n 4

in /etc/rc.d/rc./local (and enabled the rc-local service. This sets the next boot option to 4 every time I boot up. It doesn't fix the original problem, but it does provide a working solution.

I have also created /usr/local/bin/bootwin which contains

efibootmgr -n 2
reboot

I just need to work out now how to do the same when in Win8 to allow me to boot back in to Linux without having to press F9 in the boot sequence.

I would like to get to the bottom of the original problem just because it's bugging me.