[CentOS] system unresponsive

Wed May 22 14:59:37 UTC 2019
mark <m.roth at 5-cent.us>

Noam Bernstein via CentOS wrote:
> Out of memory?  We’ve definitely seen similar symptoms (it’s been a
> while, so I’m not sure they were identical) for compute nodes running
> large memory jobs.

That seems unlikely. Foe one, I've seen that... but I *always* see entries
in the log about the oom-killer being invoked. For another, this isn't a
compute node, it's *only* a fileserver, serving projects, home
directories, and backups (home-grown b/u, uses rsync), and backups don't
start until well after midnight, and as we're business-hours only, there
was less usage, and it does have 256G RAM....

       mark