[CentOS] Older versions of samba that work with CentOS 7?

Tue May 28 13:34:04 UTC 2019
me at tdiehl.org <me at tdiehl.org>

On Tue, 28 May 2019, Jobst Schmalenbach wrote:

> On Mon, May 27, 2019 at 12:43:41PM +0200, Miroslav Geisselreiter (mg at intar.cz) wrote:
>> Hi Jobst,
>>
>> you can use latest samba package from CentOS 7 - there is no problem with NT
>> style domains support (ie. it supports NT style domains). We use servers
>> with CentOS 6 and CentOS 7 both with NT style domains.
>
> Phew!
> Thank you, this is great news!
>

> I had huge trouble to get the samba server started after I ported it onto a CentOS 7 machine.
> I tried to start it with
>
>    systemctl start smbd nmbd winbind samba
>
> and it failed without error messages.
>

> So I has asked a question on the Samba mailing list.
> They told me I should do this as
>
>    systemctl stop smbd nmbd winbind samba
>    systemctl disable smbd nmbd winbind samba
>    systemctl mask smbd nmbd winbind samba
>    systemctl unmask samba-ad-dc
>    systemctl enable samba-ad-dc
>    systemctl start samba-ad-dc
>
> Can you confirm, you start this with
>
>    systemctl start samba-ad-dc

RHEL and therefore Centos does not support a samba ad-dc. You either have to
find 3rd party rpms or build from source.

IIRC, Your initial request was for nt pdc support. They are totally different animals and
might work with the rpms provided by Centos. Various people over on the samba list have
found it painful to keep NT domains working with the latest versions of windows.

Having said that, your best bet is to bits the bullet and upgrade to AD. NT domains have
been obsoleted by Ms for more than 10 years.

Samba AD works just fine on Centos 7 if you build it yourself or find workable 3rd party
rpms.

Regards,

Tom			me at tdiehl.org