[CentOS] UEFI boot manager sequence problems HP Envy

Tue May 28 18:52:02 UTC 2019

On Tue, May 28, 2019 at 12:29:39PM +0100, Gary Stainburn wrote:
> I then wiped all the Linux partitions and did a clean C7 install
> using the latest ISO, all went well, but when it reboot it went
> straight into Windows.  Using F9 on reboot I chose CentOS Linux and
> the new system booted.  Using efibootmgr I reset the boot sequence
> and all looked fine (see below).
>
> Unfortunately, when I then reboot it reverts to booting
> Windows. Using F9 to get back into Linux then shows that the boot
> sequence has reverted.  This means that the updated sequence either
> was not stored properly, or something is resetting it.

I suggest running 'blkid' and 'efibootmgr -v', and double-check that
the UUID for the CentOS boot entry matches the UUID of the EFI disk.

You can delete and recreate the boot entry with 'efibootmgr', which
will likely solve the problem.

It depends on the UEFI implementation, but when all the boot entries
are wrong (UUID changed due to new disk) sometimes it has a fallback
to find the Windows bootloader and choose it.