[CentOS] printer only prints one page, if anything

Fred Smith

fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Mon Nov 4 01:43:57 UTC 2019

On Sun, Nov 03, 2019 at 02:55:32PM -0600, Michael Hennebry wrote:

> I've got a Brother HL-L2360D series printer connected to Centos 7.
> CUPS lists it as Generic PCL6/PCL Printer - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.2.9 .
> When I tell it to print a pdf file, it prints at most the first page.
>
> After powering the thing off and turning it on again,
> it printed page 3 of pages 3-6 .
> On trying it again, the thing claimed it was receiving data
> and printed page 3 of pages 3-6 again.
>
> I've tried to delete the printer so I could add it again,
> but CUPS won't let me.
> CUPS quit asking for a password, it just says Forbidden.
>
> How do I print the pdf file?
> How do I keep this from happening again?
>
> This is not the first time I've had to do a deep
> dive into CUPS or something to get printing done.
>
> I gave up on HP printers because I had to buy new cartridges
> practically every time I wanted to print.
> Only being able to print the first page, if anything,
> is not much of an improvement.
>
> My girlfriend has an HP printer that works,
> so I suppose they are not all like mine.

My 2360D works fine on C7, but I did install the Brother drivers.

I configured it on C8 without the Brother drivers, using CUPS at port
631 where it appears to work properly, though I've not printed a lot on
it from c8.

On C8 CUPS reports that I configured it thusly:

	Brother HL-2460 - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.2.14
                      The eyes of the Lord are everywhere,
                    keeping watch on the wicked and the good.