[CentOS] cli Checking disk i/o

Stephen John Smoogen

smooge at gmail.com
Mon Nov 11 13:28:50 UTC 2019

On Sun, 10 Nov 2019 at 17:12, Robert Moskowitz <rgm at htt-consult.com> wrote:

> I just built a CentOS7 system on a Zotac NANO PC.
>
> I used a 320GB 2.5" HD I had sitting around and installed with Standard
> Partitions on XFS.
>
> The drive is spinning, nonstop.

I would check the NANO to see if its firmware has any settings or
updates which cover this. Then check if the drive has firmware updates
needed. Motherboard and drive firmware fixes have been the things I
have found to fix most of the problems for drive 'not powering down'
problems. I think the last one I remember on IRC was a drive set came
up in a mode saying 'I am in fast access mode' or something and so the
motherboard kept it spinning up all the time to make sure it could
write quickly.

> How can I monitor if there is actually disk i/o to warrant this constant
> spinning.
>
> So noatime for all partitions work with XFS?  I did some browsing and
> the claim is XFS uses realtime which is better? than noatime?
>
> Perhaps it is just occasional writes to messages (at least 1 a minute)
> that determines to keep on spinning.
>
> But it is annoying.

Stephen J Smoogen.