[CentOS] network-scripts deprecated in RHEL8/C8

Kenneth Porter

shiva at sewingwitch.com
Mon Nov 18 19:39:31 UTC 2019

--On Monday, November 18, 2019 1:18 PM -0600 Chris Adams
<linux at cmadams.net> wrote:

> Once upon a time, Kenneth Porter <shiva at sewingwitch.com> said:
>> What file holds all those settings, now? As a rule, I prefer to edit
>> text files to finding the right GUI/TUI utility to muck with them.
>> I'd also like to know how the new and old files interact.
>
> The same config files are in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts (the
> supported options may vary some).

Thanks. With that clue, I found this more complete answer:

<https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/483354/rhel-8-deprecated-network-scripts>

So the settings are in the same place but the scripts that parse them are
gone or not executed by the new system, including *-local. Anything in the
network-scripts RPM is gone. nmcli and friends replace that.

The "network" systemd unit is replaced with the NetworkManager unit when
starting/stopping the whole network system. More about that here:

<https://www.golinuxcloud.com/unit-network-service-not-found-rhel-8-linux/>