[CentOS] Virtualizing on CentOS 8

Jonathan Billings

billings at negate.org
Tue Nov 19 23:44:53 UTC 2019

On Nov 18, 2019, at 17:05, Jerry Geis <jerry.geis at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am trying to get going with CentOS 8.
>
> In the past I would run qemu-system-x86_64 -hda myfile.img
> get a console and off we go.
>
> I dont with to use virt-manager and the gui and all - I just wish to have a
> similar
> command line to boot up and run my img.
> Is there something like that I'm not finding ?
>
> I have found virsh - but I dont see how to make it run with an image file
> from the command line. Perhaps I'm missing something.

I would suggest virt-install with the —import optionif you want a console to pop up.

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/7/html/virtualization_deployment_and_administration_guide/sect-guest_virtual_machine_installation_overview-creating_guests_with_virt_install

--
Jonathan Billings