[CentOS] DHCP server failover: advise is needed

Jason Pyeron

jpyeron at pdinc.us
Fri Nov 22 17:19:04 UTC 2019

I searched for this last weekend, and added it to my to do list for holiday downtime coming up...

Quoting https://kb.isc.org/docs/aa-00502

A Basic Guide to Configuring DHCP Failover

Setting Up DHCP Failover: A Basic Overview

Many of the syntax options presented here are explained in more detail in the dhcpd.conf man page distributed with dhcp. It is recommended that you consult that document for specifics once you have grasped the basic steps involved.

1. Select your servers.  Choose one to be primary, the other to be secondary.  Different versions of ISC dhcpd may implement failover differently.  To avoid problems, use the same version (or as close as possible) on both machines of a failover pair.
2. Ensure that clocks are closely synchronized.  DHCP is a time-sensitive protocol and clock skew can cause problems.
3. Identify the networks and address pools that will be served.
4. Identify other network elements that will have to be aware of both servers.  Configure DHCP relays to relay forwarded discovers and requests to both servers.  Ensure that firewalls and filters allow DHCP traffic, OMAPI control channel traffic, and failover protocol messages to reach your servers.
5. Add declaration blocks for the failover peers to the configuration files on the primary: