[CentOS] External HD partitioning & formatting considerations

John Pierce

jhn.pierce at gmail.com
Sat Nov 30 20:50:48 UTC 2019

I strongly dislike moving removable disks between computers,
especially with differing operating systems.

I would instead recommend getting/building a NAS aka file server and using
the network to share files, or make backups, or whatever.

On Sat, Nov 30, 2019 at 11:38 AM Pierre Emerald <pierre.emerald at gmail.com>
wrote:

> What about exfat ?
>
> 2019年11月30日(土) 18:10 Fred Smith <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>:
>
> > On Sat, Nov 30, 2019 at 05:19:44PM +0100, Nicolas Kovacs wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > One of my clients has a mixed Linux/Mac OS/Windows environment in his
> > office.
> > > He just purchased a 4 TB external hard disk, which he intends to use on
> > his
> > > various workstations.
> > >
> > > Up until recently, I've been using plain old MBR/FAT for hard disks in
> > mixed
> > > environments. Fire up fdisk, make one big 0b type partition, and then
> > format it
> > > using mkdosfs.
> > >
> > > Unfortunately, there's a 2 TB limit to that.
> > >
> > > Of course, I could still use a GPT partition, but then I'd still have
> > format
> > > it using a "common denominator" filesystem, e. g. FAT... which is also
> > limited
> > > to 2 TB as far as I know.
> > >
> > > So what now? Use Windows 10 to format the disk using NTFS? This,
> Windows
> > and
> > > Linux could use it, and I'd have to check if Mac OS can manage NTFS
> file
> > > systems. A few years ago, it didn't.
> > >
> > > Any suggestions?
> >
> > Maybe UDF?
> >
> > --

> >     Under no circumstances will I ever purchase anything offered to me as
> >     the result of an unsolicited e-mail message. Nor will I forward chain
> >     letters, petitions, mass mailings, or virus warnings to large numbers
> >     of others. This is my contribution to the survival of the online
> >     community.
> >  --Roger Ebert, December, 1996

-john r pierce
  recycling used bits in santa cruz