[CentOS] External HD partitioning & formatting considerations

Sat Nov 30 16:19:44 UTC 2019
Nicolas Kovacs <info at microlinux.fr>

Hi,

One of my clients has a mixed Linux/Mac OS/Windows environment in his office.
He just purchased a 4 TB external hard disk, which he intends to use on his
various workstations.

Up until recently, I've been using plain old MBR/FAT for hard disks in mixed
environments. Fire up fdisk, make one big 0b type partition, and then format it
using mkdosfs.

Unfortunately, there's a 2 TB limit to that.

Of course, I could still use a GPT partition, but then I'd still have to format
it using a "common denominator" filesystem, e. g. FAT... which is also limited
to 2 TB as far as I know.

So what now? Use Windows 10 to format the disk using NTFS? This, Windows and
Linux could use it, and I'd have to check if Mac OS can manage NTFS file
systems. A few years ago, it didn't.

Any suggestions?

Niki
7, place de l'église - 30730 Montpezat