[CentOS] Possible Font problem with CentOS 7

Thu Nov 7 19:50:29 UTC 2019
Tony Molloy <tony.molloy at ul.ie>

On Wed, 2019-11-06 at 20:19 +0000, liam.p.otoole at gmail.com wrote:
> CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the University of
> Limerick. Do not click on links or open attachments unless you
> recognize the sender's email address and know the content is safe.
> On Wed, 06 Nov, 2019 at 19:45:22 +0000, Tony Molloy wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've got a possible font problem with a fully updated CentOS 7
> > system.
> >
> > An example with the man command.
> >
> > #man kill
> >
> > Should return the following
> >
> > KILL(1)                 User Commands                   KILL(1)
> >
> > NAME
> >        kill - terminate a process
> >
> > SYNOPSIS
> >        kill [-s signal|-p] [-q sigval] [-a] [--] pid...
> >        kill -l [signal]
> >

> > but what I actually get is the following
> >
> > KILL(1)                   User Commands                    KILL(1)
> >

> >        kill - terminate a process
> >

> >         [ signal| ] [ sigval] [ ] [ ] pid...
> >         [signal]
> >
> > Notice the missing text.
> >
> > If I select the text and paste it into an editor I see the missing
> > text. So it's there just not displaying on the screen.
> >
> > I also notice the effect with links embedded in e-mails. I use
> > evolution. Embedded links do not appear in the e-mail but if I
> > hover
> > over a link location then it appears in the text box at the bottom
> > of
> > the page and I can select it.
> >
> > I suspect I'm missing some common font(s).
> >
> > Any ideas.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Tony
>
> Greetings from Cork.
>
> What terminal emulator are you using? Assuming it's gnome-terminal
> (the default), what
> is the output of the commands
>
>     gsettings get org.gnome.desktop.interface monospace-font-name

'Monospace 11'

> and
>
>     fc-match monospace

DejaVuSansMono.ttf: "DejaVu Sans Mono" "Book"

I got the solution for the terminal problem. It was a setting in the
terminal preferences settings which I had unticked. So now for the
e-mail problem. This I assume is also a preferences problem with either
my theme selection or with evoloution itself.

Thanks for the reply,

Tony
--
Tony Molloy <tony.molloy at ul.ie>