[CentOS] Firefox 68 jnlp files

Thu Nov 14 14:58:27 UTC 2019
isdtor <isdtor at gmail.com>

Leroy Tennison writes:
> Not knowing what kind of server management you're looking for I can only make general suggestions.  We found that the removal of Java support (actually NSAPI in favor of the Pepper API which Oracle has stated they won't support) left us with limited IPMI (iLO, DRAC, whatever) functionality.  And, looking at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_Web_Start, Oracle has stopped supporting javaws.  In our case (SuperMicro) we found two things: their newer hardware had switched to HTML5/iKVM which didn't require Java and SuperMicro had supplied non-browser-based (but Java-based) programs which supplied equivalent functionality for the legacy hardware.  My recommendation would be to look into those alternatives.
> Java Web Start - Wikipedia<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_Web_Start>
> In computing, Java Web Start (also known as JavaWS, javaws or JAWS) is a framework developed by Sun Microsystems (now Oracle) that allows users to start application software for the Java Platform directly from the Internet using a web browser.Some key benefits of this technology include seamless version updating for globally distributed applications and greater control of memory allocation to ...
> en.wikipedia.org

This is about firefox. I was able to add custom helper applications on previous versions, or pick an executable from the filesystem tree to achieve this. This version of firefox doesn't allow that, it has a predefined list of helper apps taht cannot be updated. If it somehow generates that list from OS config files, I am wondering which those are.