[CentOS] C8 Questions

Fri Nov 15 16:52:35 UTC 2019
Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com>

On Fri, 15 Nov 2019 at 11:12, Alessandro Baggi
<alessandro.baggi at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
> I've several questions about C8. I'm using 8 on my personal NAS and
> works very well. I'm running several VMs with centos 8 and noticed
> something:

OK most of these questions are going to be answered by the fact that
CentOS is a rebuild of Red Hat Enterprise Linux. If Red Hat Enterprise
Linux does not have something in it's base packages, it isn't going to
be in the CentOS package set.

> 1) Why corosync, pacemaker and pcs are missing on C8? They are only
> available on rhel with payments( rhel ha addons)?

Because Red Hat put them in a package set which is not shipped as
source to CentOS to rebuild.

> 2) Why there is only Gnome as available DE? I use centos on my
> workstation and I'm a kde-plasma user. XFCE is ok but not gnome. I tried
> fedora, it has all software that I need and it is a very good distro but
> I don't like too much update and its EOL (upgrade/reinstall every 13
> months on a workstation is not so good for me). I don't want to be
> forced to install another stable distro like debian (This not means that
> debian is bad but I prefer centos).

Because Red Hat only did a build of GNOME for RHEL-8.

> 3) I have a VM with C8 installed. I got several updates but I don't
> receive any update for 8 on centos-announce like for previous versions
> (6 & 7). Something has changed?

The way modules and other layout changes come with RHEL-8, the old
tools which are used for announcing updates do not work. Please see
other threads on this for the request for help on this.

> 4) EPEL. I know that EPEL is a Fedora SIG but I use several packages
> from EPEL. There is a place to see what packages will be included in
> EPEL? For example, I tried to install audacious from epel but got errors
> for missing deps. Seems that EPEL8 is released but not ready. There is a
> ETA for this?

EPEL is a volunteer project and there is no ETA because it is up to
the volunteers time and effort to build things.

> 5) It's my impression or there are less packages in this release?

You are probably looking for packages in PowerTools. Please enable
this as this will also fix your audacious problem.

> 6) Why cockpit installed by default?

Because RHEL shipped with it that way.

> 7) Why repo PowerTools was created? What is the main purpose?

PowerTools is a set of packages which Red Hat ships as
CodeReadyBuilder channel fo RHEL-8. It contains packages which are not
part of the main distribution and would not have 'technical support'.
[AKA if lynx were shipped in RHEL appstream it would have certain
support levels for security and application fixes... it has few of
those in Code Ready Builder.] For CentOS it is meant to communicate
that CentOS is a rebuild of RHEL and certain problems may not get
upstream fixes.

> 8) Why NetworkManager is the default method to configure interfaces? I
> know that I can install network-scripts but I don't understand this change.

Because RHEL shipped that way.