[CentOS] Firefox 68 jnlp files

Mon Nov 18 19:02:47 UTC 2019
Clark, Patti <clarkpa at ornl.gov>

icedtea-web  package included with the distros is the plugin that handles javaws for firefox for both RHEL/CentOS 6 and 7 and openjdk.  I have yet to find an app that cannot use openjdk instead of oracle java.  It may be a little less streamlined, but it's functional.  Ignore/cancel any pop ups that talk about updating java.

If I missed this answer, I apologize as I receive the digests.

Patti Clark
Sr. Linux System Administrator
Oak Ridge National Laboratory

Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2019 16:21:03 +0000
From: James Pearson <james-p at moving-picture.com>
To: <centos at centos.org>
Subject: Re: [CentOS] Firefox 68 jnlp files

isdtor wrote:

> It seems that firefox 68.x, as distributed with CentOS6 updates, no longer allows opening jnlp files with javaws
>
> The "Choose Helper Application" window popping up after selecting "Open with/Other" has a predefined list of applications that cannot be customised.
>
> I'm sure it must be a configuration issue as this works fine with the same browser on other distributions, but what to look for?
>
> # alternatives --display javaws
> javaws - status is auto.
>   link currently points to /usr/java/latest/jre/bin/javaws
> /usr/java/latest/jre/bin/javaws - priority 200000
> Current `best' version is /usr/java/latest/jre/bin/javaws.
> # ll -L /etc/alternatives/javaws
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 140296 Dec 15  2018 /etc/alternatives/javaws
> #

Don't know about CentOS6, but with CentOS7, the selection of apps that
you can use appear to map to '.desktop' files?

If it is the same on CentOS6, then you might be able to set up a
suitable .desktop file (e.g. in /usr/share/applications/ or similar) to
do what you want ...

No idea if this is of any help

James Pearson