[CentOS] CentOS 8 boot command line

Mon Nov 18 20:47:36 UTC 2019
Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com>

On Mon, 18 Nov 2019 at 15:22, Jerry Geis <jerry.geis at gmail.com> wrote:

> > ip=192.168.1.13::192.168.1.1:255.255.255.0:hostname.goes.here:eth0:on:1500:<mac-address-of-eth0>
>
> Thanks for the information.
>
> What "insanity". Take a perfectly good syntax and muck it up like that. The
> developer that "lost" backward compatibility for that mess needs a couple
> more drinks or something.

The problem I think was that the syntax was one which worked for one
OS and the dracut is meant to work for all Linuxes.. so they worked
out a set of items which worked for Debian, SuSE, Mandrake, Fedora.
The syntax change I think landed in Fedora right after RHEL-6 and was
in RHEL-7 from the beginning. As the web page goes over, there are
several different syntaxes which can be used for different
environments.

[At this point i have been having to hack that syntax for 7 years so I
have a severe case of Stockholm syndrome.]

--
Stephen J Smoogen.