[CentOS] C8 and NetworkManager problem

Wed Nov 20 22:14:31 UTC 2019
Kenneth Porter <shiva at sewingwitch.com>

--On Wednesday, November 20, 2019 4:51 PM -0500 Jonathan Billings
<billings at negate.org> wrote:

>> On Nov 20, 2019, at 16:17, Kenneth Porter <shiva at sewingwitch.com> wrote:
>> (How does systemd know the difference between generated files and
>> hand-crafted ones? Can one just remove the fstab entry once the
>> generated one is present? That would make migration easier.)
>
> Mount units created by the systemd generator are dynamically created each
> boot.  You can create a persistent one in /etc/systemd/system to override
> the dynamic one from fstab.

Where does it put the dynamic ones? I've never gone down that rabbit hole...

Ok, I braved the rabbit hole and found it puts them in a subdirectory of
/run/systemd, a volatile filesystem recreated at boot time. So one could
copy the generated file to /etc/systemd/system which has higher priority
than the generated files and thereby make them permanent. One then removes
the fstab entry.

<https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd.generator.html>

My sense is that static, simple mounts for which drivers are present at
boot time are best placed in fstab, and more complex dynamic mounts like
network mounts are best placed in units.