[CentOS] CentOS 8 and libssh2.h

Mon Nov 25 17:09:27 UTC 2019
Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com>

On Mon, 25 Nov 2019 at 11:57, Jerry Geis <jerry.geis at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am trying to find libssh2.h
>
> In the past I installed libssh2-devel
>
> I have libssh2 installed. I have tried
>
> yum install libssh2-devel - nothing found
> yum provides "*/libssh2.h" - nothing found
> yum search libssh2.h - nothing found.
>
> Thoughts ?

libssh2-devel is not shipped in RHEL-8 in any of its channels and
isn't in CentOS-8 currently to stay on 'par' with it. This is because
the library and package have 'problems' and the package maintainers
would prefer people to use libssh over libssh2 if at all possible. The
package may be removed from EL-8.x in the future because it causes a
lot of difficulties.. if that happens then someone can maintain it
outside of CentOS in EPEL or something similar. If it does not get
removed from EL-8.x, then it might be shipped in some sort of
repository where it is for build-use only even less than PowerTools
(aka there are no guarentees it works, it won't get updated by Red Hat
and thus down to CentOS, etc etc. ) That is part of the larger
discussion of unshipped packages which is in a different thread I
think.