[CentOS] kpatch (live kernel patching) in CentOS 7.7?

Jim Perrin jperrin at centos.org
Fri Oct 4 10:33:33 UTC 2019

On 10/3/19 9:35 PM, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Oct 2019 at 13:52, Phelps, Matthew <mphelps at cfa.harvard.edu> wrote:

>>> patches
>>>>

>>> The functionality should be available, but we don't provide patches in
>>> this way, no.
>

>> What would it take to make this happen? This would be a huge help to those
>> of us running servers. Not to mention it would make the world a more secure
>> place :)

The short answer is "a team of kernel engineers, which we don't have".
Smooge's overview which I've left below is great at explaining some of this:

>> Is it an upstream issue? No SRPMS available? Etc?

It's quite a bit more work than just SRPM (re) building. This is one of
those things where if your workflow requires this functionality rather
than the occasional reboot you should really just pay for RHEL. They put
far more people and testing behind this feature than the team building
CentOS is able to.

(DISCLAIMER: I work for RH, so that may not sound as true as it is)

--
Jim Perrin