[CentOS] kpatch (live kernel patching) in CentOS 7.7?

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Fri Oct 4 14:18:22 UTC 2019

On 10/4/19 9:35 AM, Phelps, Matthew wrote:
> I'm still puzzled why RedHat is doing it then, and making it more
> generally available (to paying customers even), if it's so dire a
> proposition that it will fail so badly, so often. That seems
> counter-intuitive to me.

It would likely boil down to a risk-benefit analysis; for RHEL RH is
willing to take the risks associated with it due to the added benefits
of offering it.  And, well, the elephant in the room is that it is one
of the things that make an RHEL subscription more attractive, whether
that's an intended effect or not. Ubuntu/Canonical apparently made a
different analysis, per another poster in-thread.

Of course, I'm in a similar situation to you in that we're a non-profit
and don't have the budget for RHEL subscriptions.  So what I've done
here is to stay on top of what the kernel issues are, and schedule
reboots accordingly, and take those long-running analysis job machines
and temporarily suspend general Internet accessibility until a reboot is
possible if the kernel issue warrants that.  I likely don't have
anywhere near as many of those jobs running as you, but I still can
sympathize!

> Anyway, I again point out that the CentOS documentation should be made
> clear that this functionality won't ever be coming to CentOS.

I would suggest the team, rather than a blanket statement that it's
'never' coming to CentOS would articulate (Smooge's  posts are a great
start!) what it would take from the community to make it happen, thus
leaving the question open-ended.