[CentOS] CentOS 8 network-scripts

Valeri Galtsev galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Fri Oct 4 14:40:40 UTC 2019

On 2019-10-04 08:03, Chris Adams wrote:
> Once upon a time, Ljubomir Ljubojevic <centos at plnet.rs> said:
>> Bridge for VM's is main reason I hate NM.

+1

My impression is younger generation doesn't value rules that programmers
were following 2-3 decades ago. One of which is:

Do not make any changes [in the program] unless they are absolutely
necessary.

This rule was helping to not introduce new bugs. Debugging is really
expensive process (that is why it often gets abridged in favor of
spending effort on yet more "new features" - see, e.g. firefox and friends).

Yet one more thing is: building superstructure on top of what actually
works. NM is one of examples. Printer configuration tool is another
(whereas CUPS web interface - http://localhost:631 - is same simple, and
is even better). I understand potential goal: to give newcomers the way
to handle thing (by pointing, clicking and "it works" ;-). But there is
a limit to the extent Linux can steal Microsoft's userbase. At some
point having your machine behave as iPad gets so annoying that some
Linux folks flee either their DE (Desktop Environment) to something
"more traditional", e.g. mate; or some go lengths, and flee their
workstations and laptops to one of BSD descendents (my main system on
laptop is FreeBSD, though it also boots to MS Windows and Ubuntu Linux).

I know it sounds like a rant, but I decided against putting rant tags on
this one.

Valeri

>> I now mess with both NM and
>> br0 controled by network because I use Windows VM on my laptop. As soon
>> as you disconnect LAN cable your eth and bridge connection are gone and
>> stupid KVM can not recover and reconnect to newly activated bridge when
>> you return LAN cable, even only a second later...
>
> See the NetworkManager-config-server package.

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator
University of Chicago
Phone: 773-702-4247