[CentOS] CentOS 8 network-scripts

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Fri Oct 4 15:27:24 UTC 2019

On 10/4/19 11:02 AM, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
> It is OK if your KVM host is on LAN cable that never is disconnected
> or power goes down. But I have a laptop I use first at work where I
> use LAN and then at home where I use WLAN only, and suspending laptop
> is same as disconnecting LAN, bridge is disabled and KVM bridged
> network unhooked, and you can never reinitialize it without at least
> restarting kvm, and full treatmant is shuting down VM, restarting NM
> then network then starting VM again... So I just shutdown VM and
> laptop and boot everey itme I move. Maybe I can change this behavior now.

You and I have nearly identical use cases, interestingly enough.  My
laptop that I'm using right now to type this is my development machine
for a number of KVM things I do in the data center as well. Since I run
it docked with ethernet on my desk, but not docked and on WiFi at home,
I've had to do two things:
1.) A real shutdown when I leave work.  For some reason I've never be a
fan of suspend/hibernate, and since I use LUKS I'd rather not leave the
volume unlocked as it would be in a suspend/hibernate scenario;
2.) NAT-connected VMs in development, since I've never been able to get
bridging to work properly over wireless (specification says it can't
work, and I think that's true in practice, but I always reserve the
right to be wrong!).

My laptop is at least as powerful as most of our servers, and it works
great for development purposes.