[CentOS] USB ISO for CentOS 8

Young, Gregory gregory.young at solarwinds.com
Fri Oct 4 15:44:13 UTC 2019

You will want to follow the instructions for creating a custom .iso

https://access.redhat.com/solutions/60959
^^^ Requires a Red Hat account, or Red Hat Developer Account.

The keys are to modify both:

- /isolinux/isolinux.cfg - for legacy BIOS boot
- /EFI/BOOT/grub.cfg - for UEFI boot

Make sure not to change the Volume Label, as this can mess up the UEFI boot

Then generate the .iso:

# cd /tmp/rhel7/
# mkisofs -o /tmp/rhel7test.iso -b isolinux/isolinux.bin -J -R -l -c isolinux/boot.cat -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -eltorito-alt-boot -e images/efiboot.img -no-emul-boot -graft-points -V "RHEL-7.7 Server.x86_64"  .

^^^ Change the "-V" label accordingly for CentOS 8 to match the CentOS 8 disk label.

And the critical command for USB drive booting:

# isohybrid --uefi /tmp/rhel7test.iso

Gregory Young