[CentOS] Differences between CentOS 7.x and CentOS 8.x OS

David G. Miller dave at davenjudy.org
Sat Oct 5 15:29:24 UTC 2019

On 10/5/19 2:47 AM, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
> On 10/5/19 3:14 AM, David G. Miller wrote:

>>> <snip>

>>> I think someone did post recently that he took Mate from F28
>>> and with some judicious tweaking of the spec file got it built
>>> and working on C8. Sorry, I have no details.
>>>

>> Hopefully, the perpetrator will 'fess up and provide the details.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Dave
>>
> "It is I, Leclerc"
>
> Here is what I did to have working MATE from Fedora 28 repositories (did
> not recompile anything):
>
> https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2019-September/173533.html

Thanks!  Since I'm an Xfce type, I'll go that route first.  I'm thinking
that the same process has a good chance of working as long as the
dependencies are the right version.  I'll post steps of road blocks.

BTW, I tend to be more the Inspector Clouseau type!

Cheers,
Dave

--
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty."

-- Benjamin Franklin