[CentOS] Question about CentOS Stream OS

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Sat Oct 5 21:48:37 UTC 2019

On Sat, Oct 05, 2019 at 03:01:43PM +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:
> In the future new features and upgrades will appear in Stream as a sort
> of rolling release and it will form the basis of future RHEL releases
> (and subsequently CentOS releases). It will also be the place for
> community input into RHEL/CentOS.  Think of it as halfway between the
> cutting edge Fedora and the stable RHEL releases.

Sometimes the easiest explanation is too easy. :)

CentOS Stream won't be getting new releases of software that isn't intended
to go into a RHEL minor release (like 8.2). It'll just be getting those
changes sooner (and with the possibility of updates, revisions, and even
rollbacks before the RHEL minor release). It will be changing daily, so it's
less stable in that sense, but the net change over six months will be the
same as what can be expected in a RHEL minor update, and I don't think the
policies for that are changing.

That's CentOS Stream, at least. But I think there's room for a lot more
CentOS/Fedora collaboration, where for example we use bits from CentOS
Stream to provide longer lifecycle for some packages, or use bits from the
Fedora collection —  possibly through Fedora EPEL — to provide faster
alternatives for RHEL and the CentOS traditional rebuild.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org>