[CentOS] Centos 8 Mate?

Robert G (Doc) Savage

dsavage at peaknet.net
Sun Oct 6 02:58:16 UTC 2019

On Wed, 2019-09-25 at 15:25 +0200, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
> On 9/24/19 10:55 PM, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> > On Tue, 24 Sep 2019 at 15:41, Frank Cox <theatre at sasktel.net>
> > wrote:
> > > Without wanting to sound too pushy, I'm wondering if there is any
> > > update on the status of Mate now that Centos 8 has been released?
> > >
> > > I would love to jump on C8 and start playing with it, but the
> > > lack of Mate is kind of  a showstopper for me at the moment.
> > >

> > Nothing has changed since the September 16 answer I gave:
> >
> > This is more of a question for the EPEL lists versus here. The
> > current
> > status is that desktops are harder to package up in EL8 and only a
> > less feature version is available at the moment. At the moment the
> > only one I know of is KDE is half implemented in EPEL Playground
> > and
> > will be reimplemented as a module when EPEL gains the ability to do
> > modules. At that point interested people can also do the work to
> > make
> > Mate/Cinnamon/etc available.
>
> As of now, I have a working MATE DM on CentOS 8. It's a hack though,
> used Fedora repositories. But that means compiling MATE in EPEL
> should
> be straightforward, just recompile Fedora 28 packages.
>

> I used Fedora 28 repo file  and Fedora 28 GPG keys (links are
> bellow),
> unpacked then to proper directory and in Fedora repo files I changed
> "$releasever" to "28".
> I also installed yum-plugin-priorities and in all CentOS repo's added
> "priority=1" and in all Fedora repos added "priority=2".

Ljubomir,

So far so good. Had some problems breaking "whatprovides" for 'system-
release' when I manually relinked it to 'fedora-release'. I had to
manually install fedora-update.spec pointing only to 'updates'.

[root at server02 Downloads]# yum list avail mate*
Last metadata expiration chec: 0:15:35 ago on Sat 05 Oct 2019 09:17:39 PM CDT.
Available Packages
mate-applets.x86_64                               1.20.3-2.fc28         updates
mate-calc.x86_64                                  1.20.3-1.fc28         updates
mate-control-center.i686                          1.20.4-1.fc28         updates
mate-control-center.x86_64                        1.20.4-1.fc28         updates
mate-utils-common.noarch                          1.20.2-1.fc28         updates
mate-utils-devel.i686                             1.20.2-1.fc28         updates
mate-utils-devel.x86_64                           1.20.2-1.fc28         updates

> Then I ran following commands (something like this, I experimented
> some):
>

> yum install python2-six
> yum install mate* -x mate*devel* -x mate-menu

I ran into trouble at this second step:
Error:
 Problem 1: conflicting requests
  - nothing provides libgucharmap_2_90.so.7()(64bit) needed by mate-
applet-1.20.3-2.fc28.x86_64
 Problem 2: conflicting requests
  - nothing provides libgnome-keyring.so.0()(64bit) needed by mate-
power-manager-1.20.3-1.fc28.x86_64
 Problem 3: conflicting requests
  - nothing provides gtk2-engines needed by mate-themes-3.22-19-
2.fc28.noarch
  - nothing provides gtk-murrine-engine needed by mate-themes-3.22.19-
2.fc28.noarch
 Problem 4: conflicting requests
 - nothing provides pythin3-setproctitle needed by mate-optimus-
19.10.3-4.el8.noarch
 - nothing provides glew needed by mate-optimus-19.10.3-4.el8.noarch
 Problem 5: cannot intall the best candidate for the job
 - nothing provides hddtemp needed by mate-sensors-applet-1.20.3-
1.fc28.x86_64 (try to add '--skip-broken' to skip uninstallable
packages or '--nobest' to use not only best candidate packages)

Does this look familiar?

--Doc