[CentOS] CentOS 8 Broken Installation

Ljubomir Ljubojevic centos at plnet.rs
Thu Oct 10 15:54:02 UTC 2019

On 10/2/19 10:22 PM, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
> On 10/2/19 9:47 PM, Jonathan Billings wrote:
>> On Oct 2, 2019, at 3:39 PM, Ljubomir Ljubojevic <centos at plnet.rs> wrote:
>>> Richard on CentOS-devel mailing list has similar problem but suggests it
>>> might be issue only with CentOS, he says he had to add the kernel line
>>> to make it work.
>>> Name of the tread is:
>>> [CentOS-devel] Booting CentOS 8 in a VM - can't find the disk
>>

>> If you’re talking about this:
>>
>> https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-devel/2019-October/017882.html <https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-devel/2019-October/017882.html>
>>
>> … then I think it’s unlikely to be related to missing drivers for a RAID controller on a SuperMicro system.
>>

> I saw it uses Intel hdd controler so I thought it could be similar.
>
> Here is solution for instaling CentOS 8 on Dell T610 with SAS controler
> (copied from Mike Chan):
>
> Intro:
>
> ** Keyword: CentOS 8 LSI SAS2
> Trying CentOS 8 on an old machine (Dell T610) but the installer can't
> find disks for installation.
>
> It turns out that the RH removed the support for LSI SAS2 controllers in
> the mpt3sas driver.
>
> I've found some articles about this, and is trying to install with
> elrepo-provided DUD (driver update disk).
>
> Will update the results and the procedure if succeeded.
>
> At least it can serves as a warning to those with said SAS controllers.

How to see if your HDD controler is not supported:

You can check by running the lspci command (lspci -nn) and compare it
with Red Hats list of removed ID's:
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/8/html/considerations_in_adopting_rhel_8/hardware-enablement_considerations-in-adopting-rhel-8#removed-adapters_hardware-enablement

Here is the list of all (so far created) the DUD's for EL8:
https://elrepo.org/linux/dud/el8/x86_64/

And here is ElRepo page http://elrepo.org/tiki/DeviceIDs that shows all
the drivers ElRepo has the drivers for, and can create DUD ISO files if
asked via ElRepo bugzila:
https://elrepo.org/bugs/main_page.php