[CentOS] Manual partitioning and LVM

Kenneth Porter

shiva at sewingwitch.com
Sun Oct 20 17:25:46 UTC 2019

I can't seem to figure out how to partition for install. I've tried both
CentOS 8 and 7.7 netinstalls.

I've got 3 disks: sda (big hardware RAID array), sdb (SSD), and sdc
(internal SD card for booting). I want to put /boot on sdc, /usr on sdb,
and / on sda. I don't care what format is used on sdb and sdc, whatever
will let it boot. I want LVM on sda so that I can use snapshotting for
backups.

I can pre-format sdb1 and sdc1 as ext4 usinga gparted live DVD. If I select
manual partitioning, I can then label and assign those two to /usr and
/boot. I can see sda in the drives available on the first detination screen
but but I don't see it in the manual partitioning screen. So I don't see
how to partition and format it as an LVM volume that I can mount to /.