[CentOS] Failure to install boot loader on Dell PowerEdge R720xd

Kenneth Porter

shiva at sewingwitch.com
Mon Oct 21 09:35:26 UTC 2019

What command does the installer use to install the boot loader?

I sucessfully installed CentOS 8 to the server, with /usr on a mirrored SSD
pair on the RAID controller and /boot on the internal SD card (where Dell
wants one to boot from). Before rebooting, I inspected the installation at
/mnt/sysimage and the disk usage looked reasonable. I saw a grub directory
in /boot but no second stage boot loader nor any config files for it.

At the end of the process, I got an error message that the installer failed
to install the boot loader and the resulting system wouldn't boot. It
didn't. There were no details useful for diagnosis. So now I'm about to
boot the installer DVD into rescue mode to manually install the boot loader
and see the real error message. So what command do I issue?