[CentOS] CentOS 8 network-scripts

Ljubomir Ljubojevic

centos at plnet.rs
Fri Oct 4 12:54:16 UTC 2019

On 10/4/19 2:27 PM, Phelps, Matthew wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 4, 2019 at 6:26 AM Jim Perrin <jperrin at centos.org> wrote:
>

>> On 10/3/19 2:42 PM, Jerry Geis wrote:
>>> I have need to use the old network-scripts and not NetworkManager.
>>
>> Why? I'd like to understand more about the use case where this is a
>> requirement.
>>

> One example we have is qemu virtual machine hosts where setting up the
> bridge in the ifcfg scripts is easier and avoiding NetworkManager messing
> things up in a non-intuitive way is critical.
>
> Also, we have 150+ machines with fixed IP addresses, always-on connections,
> and no wireless. Having NetworkManager do seemingly random things is not
> desirable.
>
> FWIW we disable NetworkManager with systemctl in our potinstall kickstart
> scripts and it seems to do what we want.

+1

Bridge for VM's is main reason I hate NM. I now mess with both NM and
br0 controled by network because I use Windows VM on my laptop. As soon
as you disconnect LAN cable your eth and bridge connection are gone and
stupid KVM can not recover and reconnect to newly activated bridge when
you return LAN cable, even only a second later...

--
Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)