[CentOS] Question about CentOS Stream OS

Ljubomir Ljubojevic

centos at plnet.rs
Sun Oct 6 18:21:46 UTC 2019

On 10/5/19 11:48 PM, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 05, 2019 at 03:01:43PM +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:
>> In the future new features and upgrades will appear in Stream as a sort
>> of rolling release and it will form the basis of future RHEL releases
>> (and subsequently CentOS releases). It will also be the place for
>> community input into RHEL/CentOS.  Think of it as halfway between the
>> cutting edge Fedora and the stable RHEL releases.
>
> Sometimes the easiest explanation is too easy. :)
>
> CentOS Stream won't be getting new releases of software that isn't intended
> to go into a RHEL minor release (like 8.2). It'll just be getting those
> changes sooner (and with the possibility of updates, revisions, and even
> rollbacks before the RHEL minor release). It will be changing daily, so it's
> less stable in that sense, but the net change over six months will be the
> same as what can be expected in a RHEL minor update, and I don't think the
> policies for that are changing.
>
> That's CentOS Stream, at least. But I think there's room for a lot more
> CentOS/Fedora collaboration, where for example we use bits from CentOS
> Stream to provide longer lifecycle for some packages, or use bits from the
> Fedora collection —  possibly through Fedora EPEL — to provide faster
> alternatives for RHEL and the CentOS traditional rebuild.

It would have to be something other then CentOS Stream. Maybe CentOS
gets some software streams/modules where you can choose Firefox 68 over
60, but it would have to come from EPEL I am guesing, with CentOS only
providing infrastructure for this change. But I somehow doubt it will go
that way, CentOS is ment as only rebuld of RHEL.

--
Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)