[CentOS] Centos 8 Mate?

Nicolas Kovacs

info at microlinux.fr
Thu Oct 17 20:24:32 UTC 2019

Le 17/10/2019 à 16:08, Johnny Hughes a écrit :
> Is gnome3 really that bad :D

There's an easy way to figure that out. Our local school has been 100 %
GNU/Linux since 2010 (when we first installed CentOS 5 on desktops and
servers). On the latest count, I have a hundred users there.

Over the years, I've tried a variety of desktop environments, from GNOME
2.x on CentOS 5.x and CentOS 6.x to a beefed-up Xfce. Then we tested
GNOME 3 on CentOS 7.x, and it was a mild disaster. Next was KDE, and
everyone loved it, since most of my users come from a Windows
background, and the basic usability is vaguely similar.

When Red Hat decided to drop KDE for the subsequent release, I decided
to switch the desktop clients to OpenSUSE Leap KDE. The servers are
still running CentOS (and will always be running CentOS I guess).

I guess everyone's happy now, because no one complains. :o)

Cheers,

Niki

7, place de l'église - 30730 Montpezat
Site : https://www.microlinux.fr