[CentOS] Can't rebuild coreutils package under CentOS 8: Missing build dependencies

Kenneth Porter

shiva at sewingwitch.com
Sat Oct 26 12:02:52 UTC 2019

--On Friday, October 25, 2019 8:18 PM -0700 Kenneth Porter
<shiva at sewingwitch.com> wrote:

> I pulled the coreutils SRPM and it won't build because it wants texinfo
> and dnf says it doesn't exist, using either the builddep or search
> subcommands. (There may be other builddep issues but texinfo is notable
> for being in the vault's SRPMs but not on the mirrors.)

A source package for texinfo exists here:

<http://archive.kernel.org/centos-vault/8.0.1905/BaseOS/Source/SPackages/>

I see no binary package for it here:

<https://mirrors.edge.kernel.org/centos/8.0.1905/BaseOS/x86_64/os/Packages/>

I tried "dnf builddep" on the texinfo source package and it wants help2man.
I can't find either a source or binary package for that. (I see one in the
CentOS 7 repo.)

Another missing dependency is 'perl(Unicode::EastAsianWidth)'. dnf can't
find a package that supplies that.

(The end goal is to figure out where ls.c is getting an implementation of
strmode() which is doing weird things, truncating the mode string when the
user or group field is zero.)