[CentOS] HW update. Fedora 30 to Centos?

Matthew Miller

mattdm at mattdm.org
Sat Oct 26 14:14:31 UTC 2019

On Thu, Oct 24, 2019 at 03:53:49PM +0100, Dave Pawson wrote:
> Not all that bothered about being 'up to the minute', and after
> 20+ Fedora installs it does get to be a drag...

You should be just fine with CentOS for most cases. Check out the new Fedora
Toolbox command ('toolbox') — this makes it super-easy to launch and
maintain "pet" containers using podman, and you could use this to provide a
Fedora working environment for when you need newer stuff. (Or conversely
people running a Fedora OS can do the opposite with a CentOS container.)

One thing I'm curious about, though -- you mention installs getting to be a
drag. Have you tried the update process in the last few releases? It's
basically like applying a big set of updates, with no reinstall required.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org>