[CentOS] ls permissions format changed in CentOS 8

Stephen John Smoogen

smooge at gmail.com
Sat Oct 26 15:05:10 UTC 2019

On Fri, 25 Oct 2019 at 20:14, Kenneth Porter <shiva at sewingwitch.com> wrote:

> Found it. It happens from the process buffer inside Lugaru Epsilon. I think
> ls thinks it's doing a DIRED output instead of a shell output. Now I need
> to figure out why it thinks that. This wasn't happening in CentOS 7.

Lugaru Epsilon? I think you need to give a lot more explanation on
what is going on because I (at least) have no idea how you are using a
non-shipped text editor .

Usually if a tool is not giving similar results... I usually start by
setting up a new account and unset all SHELL variables in said
account. I then see if the problem occurs. If it doesn't, I make
changes one by one from the other shells variables to see if it does.
[Well I probably do the Wise Old Owl from the tootsy pop commercial..
once I hit three I start moving files until I get it.. sometimes it
turns out that it is some weird config setting I didn't know in a file
I didn't think would affect things.]

I am going to expect that TERM=DUMB might be the problem.. but not sure.

Stephen J Smoogen.