[CentOS] ls permissions format changed in CentOS 8

Kenneth Porter

shiva at sewingwitch.com
Sun Oct 27 14:43:48 UTC 2019

It's a display bug in PuTTY+Epsilon, but a subtle one! I upgraded PuTTY
from 0.65 on one PC to 0.73 (latest) and the problem disappeared. I still
see it on another PC running PuTTY 0.70.

I'm still trying to characterize it but the output is correct and it's
because I'm using Epsilon to view the output file that I'm not seeing the
missing characters.

The issue is related to repeating characters, such as the runs of dashes
seen in a ls listing. But I'm able to reproduce it by displaying a file
with a run of any character in Epsilon. So there's some quirky interaction
between the terminal usage of Epsilon, PuTTY 0.70, and CentOS 8's
openssh+bash.

I ran back through PuTTY versions and it doesn't happen starting with 0.71,
so that version fixed something that CentOS 8 triggers in the older
versions. Here's its changelog:

<https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/changes.html>