[CentOS] Wonky Firefox 68.0.1esr upgrade

Kay Schenk

kay.schenk at gmail.com
Tue Oct 29 17:12:58 UTC 2019

Problem solved from kuna236 on Reddit discussion...(see comments)

https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/comments/cbnesc/firefox_68_password_field_blinks/

FYI. For just testing, I copied my new firefox.desktop from
/usr/local/share/applications to my local Desktop folder, and gave it a
new name. Did not do the update-desktop-database yet. (Original
firefox.desktop file in /usr/share/applications.) All good!

--- details from kuna236---

For anyone else out there trying to modify their |.desktop| file, I
copied my |/usr/share/applications/firefox.desktop| to
|/usr/local/share/applications/| and prepended |env GTK_IM_MODULE=xim|
to the |Exec=| lines.

|Exec=env GTK_IM_MODULE=xim firefox %u |

Then ran |sudo update-desktop-database|.

I struggled for a little while because I forgot to include |env| in my
|Exec|, and Firefox stopped showing up in my applications menu. Figured
I'd post it here in case anyone else was making the same mistake.

-- end details --

"And in the end, only kindness matters."
    -- Jewel, "Hands"
______
  MzK