[CentOS] CentOS-8 QEMU guest won't bring virtio_net interface up.

Fri Oct 4 10:24:48 UTC 2019
LAHAYE Olivier <olivier.lahaye at cea.fr>

Hi,

I’m trying to PXE boot from qemu a CentOS-8 initrd, but despite I set rd.neednet=1, the virtio_net module is not loaded and the interface is not brought up.
If I modprobe it by hand, it brings an eth0 interface.

My initrd was created using dracut that includes network, qemu and qemu-net modules
Qemu is started with EFI bios and vritio ethernet emulation

Questions are:

  *   Is it a known bug/ issue?
  *   What Am I missing?
  *   Lspci does see the Red Hat, Inc. Virtio network device, but nothing triggers the module load (virtio_net)
  *   After doing modprobe virtio_net, the interface is named eth0 (it seems that it doesn’t follow the modern network device naming scheme)

Before reporting a bug, I want to make sure that I’m not missing something.

Regards,

Olivier.
--
Olivier LAHAYE