[CentOS] UEFI and PXE

Mon Oct 21 13:38:02 UTC 2019
isdtor <isdtor at gmail.com>

Chris Adams writes:
> Once upon a time, isdtor <isdtor at gmail.com> said:
> > Yes, it looks like I'm out of luck and need to find a newer machine to test this with. Moving the tftp server works to an extent - server boots right into a grub prompt.
>
> Weird.  I have a couple of Intel-based systems that do UEFI PXE boot
> okay, but they're much newer than the 11th gen PowerEdge (I have some of
> those still in service but they're not running UEFI mode).  Also,
> they're client-type systems, not servers (a Thinkpad notebook and an
> Intel NUC), so possibly different firmware base.
>
> I vaguely remember in the distant past having some kind of problem like
> this, and I think on those systems, I used a boot floppy (yes, that long
> ago!) with gPXE on it.

Not too happy to revive this old thread ...

Has anyone managed to UEFI/PXE boot CentOS6? I managed to find newer hw and have this working perfectly with CentOS7. With 6, however, I again cannot boot beyond a grub prompt.

CentOS7 bootx64.efi does not work for CentOS6 as it complains "kernel too old". Booting with CentOS6 /boot/efi/EFI/redhat/grub.efi, and the older style pxe config file as per https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/6/html/installation_guide/s1-netboot-pxe-config-efi results in a grub (legacy) prompt on the target machine.