[CentOS] Is it a way to upgrade CentOS 7 to 8?

Sat Oct 12 21:10:03 UTC 2019
Pete Biggs <pete at biggs.org.uk>

On Sat, 2019-10-12 at 21:03 +0200, Pierre Malard wrote:
> Ok, thanks. it’s now very clear…
> I must stay in CentOS 7 as long as possible…

No, that's not the way to look at it.  Yes, an upgrade of major CentOS
versions is a wipe and re-install (unless you really, really know what
you are doing), but the longevity of the OS is usually greater than the
lifetime of the hardware so there is no *urgency* to upgrade, CentOS 7
is not going to go away for a few years.

The sensible way (i.e. what I do!), is to play with the new version for
a little while, testing critical infrastructure and getting a feel for
how it all works both standalone and with the rest of my estate. During
that process I get to grips with installation procedures, PXE,
kickstart, creating my bespoke RPMs and so on. Eventually, by probably
8.1 I will be deploying it for non mission-critical servers.  Only then
will I think about re-deploying current applications on to CentOS 8 and
the urgency with which that is done is governed by the need for the
newer versions of applications. But I will still be deploying CentOS 7
on new hardware for a while, but with the knowledge that the OS will
still outlast the machines.

P.