[CentOS] Browser doesnt work

Tue Oct 15 14:09:01 UTC 2019
Ljubomir Ljubojevic <centos at plnet.rs>

On 10/15/19 3:18 PM, John Hodrien wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Oct 2019, Nicolas Kovacs wrote:
>
>> CentOS is a desktop distribution in the sense that chickens fly and
>> horses swim. Of course you can turn it into a full-blown
>> bells-and-whistles desktop by fine-tuning the configuration and adding
>> lots of third-party stuff. I've done this myself for years, here for
>> example:
>>
>> https://www.microlinux.fr/poste-de-travail-entreprise-centos-7-kde/
>>
>> On the other hand, CentOS out of the box is a rather frustrating
>> experience on the desktop.
>
> I've always disagreed with this view, however common it appears to be.
>
> RHEL is sold as an Enterprise OS for Server, Cloud, Desktop, Laptop.
> CentOS
> surely shouldn't be seen any differently.
>
> What is it that makes CentOS a bad desktop OS?
>
> I can install CentOS 8 on my laptop now, with a perfectly usable
> desktop, and
> 10 years of support.  Google Chrome runs just fine, and I can use
> containers
> via singularity on top for anything exotic.
>
> What exactly am I missing out on by not running something else?

They are talking about a fact that RHEL (and CentOS) do not provide
packages that have non-FOSS licenses, like Broadcom drivers, video
codecs, flash, etc., and you need 3rd-party repo like Nux-dextop,
rpmfusion for those, while almost all other distro's do provide those
packages and you only need to select non-FOSS packages from OFFICIALY
SUPPORTED repositories.