[CentOS] smart card auth

Fri Oct 25 17:24:50 UTC 2019
Alessandro Baggi <alessandro.baggi at gmail.com>

On 10/25/19 1:27 PM, Stephen Berg (Code 7309) via CentOS wrote:
> I updated my work desktop to kernel-3.10.0-1062.4.1.el7.x86_64 yesterday
> as I was leaving. This morning booted into that new kernel I was unable
> to login using my common access card.  Rebooted in the previous kernel
> (3.10.0-1062.1.2.el7.x86_64) and smart card login works fine. Anyone
> else seeing any similar problems?  I haven't had time to dig deeply into
> the logs yet but I did a bunch of pcscd restarts overnight, about once
> per hour according to monit.

Hi Stephen,
I never used pcscd and card login and I don't know how it works. Without
any type of error/message/warning from system logs I cannot help much
but I will try.
I would ask:

1) You need a kernel module to use your drive?
2) If yes to the previous, this modules was compiled manually(a) or is
shipped by centos(b)?
2a) if compiled manually, you need to compile it again because kernel
local version is changed to -1062.1.2.el7.x86_64 so the previous module
will not load (you can try to load using --force-modversion). This
happens to me when I update the kernel and the module that manage my
waterblock led does not work anymore.
2b) Check if you module is loaded and if not try to load it and check again.

3) Can you boot your workstation and make the login without the card
reader? If yes you could check what differs from the previous and the
new kernel when running pcscd (maybe using strace or similar tool).

5) What report logs? This is the first thing that I will check before
try actions and before ask in ML and if I can't solve then ask help
reporting errors found. Maybe someone could help you with more detailed
informations.

My 2 Cent(O)s.

Alessandro.